Thanks to Eric Nauert of WSVH for hosting Monday's show when I had to stay home on short notice. A water main burst at my son's preschool. Plumbing is now restored and kid stashed.
Here's today's Midday Music playlist. Three cello concertos. Two are concert tie-ins. (Alexander Russakovsky soloes in the Schumann cello concerto Saturday at Auburn University, and Atlanta Symphony principal cellist Christopher Rex performs the Barber concerto this weekend in Atlanta.) The Haydn's just there because once there were two, I compulsively wanted a third.
- Rossini: String Sonata No. 1 in G major. Kremlin Chamber Orch, Rachlevsky. Claves 50-9222.
- Schubert: Impromptu in B-flat major, Op. 142/3, D. 935. Nikolai Demidenko. Hyperion 67091/2.
- Schumann: Cello Concerto, Op. 129. Yo-Yo Ma, Bavarian Radio Sym, Davis. CBS 44562.
- Byrd: Second Service (Magnificat). Choir of Magdalen College, Oxford; Fretwork. Harmonia Mundi 907440.
- Liszt: Transcendental Etude No. 12, "Chasse-neige." Claudio Arau. PentaTone 171.
- Haydn: Cello Concerto No. 2 in D major. Jean-Guihen Queyras, Freiburg Baroque Orch, Mullejans. Harmonia Mundi 901816.
- Granados: Four songs arranged for viola and piano. Kim Kashkashian, Robert Levin. ECM 1975.
- Taneyev: Symphony No. 1 in E minor: Finale. Novosibirsk Academic Sym, Sanderling. Naxos 8.570336.
- Hotteterre: Deuxieme Livre: Suite No. 2 in E minor. Amarillis. Ambroisie 9904.
- Barber: Cello Concerto, Op. 22. Anne Gastinel, City of Birmingham Sym, Brown. Naive 4961.
- Falla: Jota. Kim Kashkashian, Robert Levin. ECM 1975.