Mozart alert! A new likeness of Mozart has been discovered and authenticated! Check out the story and Wolfgang's portrait here or here. And neither article mentions this but I've heard through the grapevine that the American collector who bought the portrait picked it up on vacation in northern Italy...at a yard sale, essentially. Descendants of Mozart's friends the Hagenauers were just cleaning out their attic.
OK, so back to today's Midday Music. St. Patrick's Day. Christian Holy Week. Women's History Month. Concerts apace. What's a music programmer to do? Mix and match to cover all those bases.
Note that the harpist we hear in the first hour, Elisabeth Remy Johnson, is principal harp of the Atlanta Symphony. She will be featured in Debussy's Sacred and Profane Dances in this week's broadcast of the ASO on GPB. Please join me on air or online for that concert, Thursday at 8 p.m., repeating Sunday night at 10.
The run-up to Easter isn't the busiest concert time, but it's not all quiet outside the churches. Concerts mentioned on air include:
- "Music, She Wrote" in Macon (tomorrow, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m., Wesleyan College's Candler Alumnae Building, free);
- pianist Nicholas Angelich and conductor Hugh Wolff with the Atlanta Symphony (Thursday-Saturday, 8 p.m., Atlanta's Symphony Hall);
- La Tragedie de Carmen, a sort of condensation of Bizet's Carmen presented by the Augusta Opera (Friday-Saturday, Augusta's Imperial Theater);
- and last but not remotely least, the Savannah Music Festival, kicking off on Thursday. A more formal concert list with links will follow tomorrow.
- Grechaninov: Passion Week: Nos. 1-3. Phoenix Bach Choir, Kansas City Chorale, soloists, Bruffy. Chandos 5044.
- Chaminade: Arabesque, Op. 61. Louise Cheadle. AW Promotions.
- Telemann: "The Nations," Suite in B-flat. Berlin Academy of Ancient Music. Harmonia Mundi 901744.
- Damase: Sicilienne Variee for harp. Elisabeth Remy. ACA Digital 20070.
- Various/Traditional Irish: The Wagtail Set. Tannahill Weavers. Green Linnet 1210.
- Traditional Irish: St. Patrick's Day (arr. Morley for the 1952 film The Quiet Man). Itzhak Perlman, Boston Pops, Williams. Sony 60773.
- Debussy: Danse (orch. Ravel). Saint Paul Chamber Orch, Wolff. Teldec 74006.
- Brahms: Klavierstucke, Op. 119. Nicholas Angelich. Virgin 379302.
- Mozart: Horn Concerto No. 2 in E-flat, K. 417. Eric Ruske, Scottish Chamber Orch, Mackerras. Telarc 80367.
- Bizet: Carmen Suite (arr. Fernie). Black Dyke Band, Childs. Naxos 8.570726.
- Traditional Irish: The Irish Washerwoman. Cincinnati Pops, Kunzel. Telarc 80571.
- Traditional Irish: the Green Groves of Erin/The Flowers of Red Hill (arr. Meyer). Mark O'Connor, Yo-Yo Ma. Sony 68460.
- Poulenc: Stabat Mater. French National Orch, Choruses of Radio France, Hendricks, Pretre. EMI 55689.
- Ravel: Tzigane, for violin and lutheal. Daniel Hope, Sebastian Knauer. Warner 61329.
- Traditional Irish: A Piper Celebration. Kieran O'Hare, Cincinnati Pops, Kunzel. Telarc 80571.