Today's show culminates with Oceana. It's Osvaldo Golijov's setting of poetry by Pablo Neruda, performed by vocalist Luciana Souza and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus with Robert Spano conducting. A couple of seasons ago, GPB aired tape from the ASO concert performance. GPB's Terrance McKnight interviewed composer Osvaldo Golijov and vocalist Luciana Souza, and today we hear part of that interview as a lead-in to our first broadcast of this watery work in commercial CD form, from a 2007 Deutsche Grammophon release. (For an archived, fuller version of Terrance's interview, see the fifth interview on this page.)
The CD and the composer
Tonight the Atlanta Symphony's latest season gets underway with La Boheme by Puccini. This weekend's concerts will be recorded live for future release on Telarc. And that's not all the Puccini around Atlanta. The Atlanta Opera launches its new season Saturday, in the new Cobb Energy Centre, with Turandot.
- Leclair: Flute Sonata in C major, Op. 2/3. Fenwick Smith et al. (Naxos 8.557440-41)
- Dvorak: Violin Concerto in A minor. James Ehnes, BBC Phil, Noseda (Chandos 10309)
- Gottschalk: Bamboula, danse negre. Cecile Licad (Naxos 8.559145)
- Puccini: Turandot: Nessun dorma, on trombone. Joseph Alessi, Warren Jones (NAxos 8.570232)
- Poulenc: Concerto for Two Pianos in D minor. Guher and Suher Pekinel, French Radio Phil, Janowski (Teldec 46155)
- Bantock: Pagan Symphony. Royal Phil, Handley (Hyperion 66630)
- Beethoven: Creatures of Prometheus, Overture. Atlanta Sym, Levi (Telarc 80358)
- Golijov: La Pasion segun San Marcos: excerpt. Luciana Souza et al. (Hanssler 98.404)
- Golijov: Oceana. Luciana Souza, Atlanta Sym Orch & Chorus, Gwinnett Young Singers, members of Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, Spano (DG B0009069)
- Puccini: La Boheme: Prelude and Aria. Quartetto Gelato.