We wake up for National Coffee Day with Bach's Coffee Cantata, in which a father, one Mr. Schlendrian, exhorts his daughter Lieschen to give up her beloved three-cup-a-day habit. She will hear none of it. Finally, he offers to provide a husband in exchange for her quitting coffee cold turkey. She accepts. However, the narrator informs us, the clever Lieschen will arrange to have her hubby and her cuppa joe too. (Complete translation here.)
- Bach: Coffee Cantata (Cantata No. 211, "Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht." Emma Kirkby, David Thomas, Rogers Covey-Crump, Academy of Ancient Music, Hogwood. L'Oiseau-Lyre 417 621.
- Brahms: Six Pieces for Piano, Op. 118. Dejan Lazic. Channel 27609.
- Donizetti: L'Elisir d'Amor (The Elixir of Love): Un furtiva lagrima (A furtive tear), arr. violin, bassoon and orchestra. Joshua Bell, Orch of St. Luke's, Michael Stern. Sony 97779.
- Grieg: Piano Concerto in A minor. Love Derwinger, Norrkoping Sym, Hirokami. BIS 619.
- Mozart/Allen: Queen of the Night's aria, arr. piccolo trumpet and brass. Ryan Anthony, Canadian Brass. Opening Day 7347.
- Mouton: James, James, James. Gilbert: James, James, James Plus. Piffaro. Dorian 90301.
- Montsalvatge: Concierto Breve for piano and orchestra: mvts 2-3. Alicia de Larrocha, Royal Phil, Fruhbeck de Burgos. Decca 289 467 687.
- Dvorak: String Quartet No. 10 in E-flat, Op. 51. Vermeer Quartet. Teldec 8.43105.
- Telemann: Oboe Concerto in D minor, TWV 51:d2. Albrecht Mayer, Berlin Baroque Soloists, Kussmaul. DG 5761.