Paul Galbraith plays his unusual vertical, eight-stringed guitar tonight in Columbus's RiverCenter, presented by Columbus State University's Legacy Live series. On GPB we hear him (and it) in lute music by Bach. The Ocmulgee Symphony opens its season Saturday in Hawkinsville with a concert of Mozart, Glazunov and Copland. We hear the familiar Mozart from the program. And the Georgia Philharmonic visits the Rabun Music Festival in Rabun Gap on Sunday, playing Dvorak, Mozart, Strauss and Rodgers and Hammerstein.
For details on these events and others, see Midday Music's September Calendar below.
- Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5: Aria. Gary Schocker, Jason Vieaux. Azica 71215.
- Alwyn: Piano Concerto No. 2 (1960). Peter Donohoe, Bournemouth Sym, Judd. Naxos 8.557590.
- Bazzini: Three Pieces in Sonata Form for violin and piano, Op. 44. Chloe Hanslip, Caspar Frantz. Naxos 8.570800.
- Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Serenade in G major, K. 525. English Concert, Manze. Harmonia Mundi 907280.
- Dvorak: Bagatelles, Op. 47. Quartetto Gelato. Silva Screen 6033.
- Bach: Lute Suite in C minor, BWV 997, transcr. B minor for eight-string guitar. Paul Galbraith. Delos 3258.
- Jarnefeldt: Shooting the Rapids. Finnish Radio Sym, Mansnerus. YLE 9701.
- Brahms: Piano Trio No. 3 in C minor, Op. 101. Lanier Trio. Gasparo 327.
- Purcell: Fantasias in Four Parts, Nos. 4-6; In Nomine in six parts. Hesperion XX, Savall. Alia Vox 9859.