Much of today's music connects to Jewish religion and culture or to the theme of creation, in honor of Rosh Hashanah, which begins tonight. Happy new year to our Jewish listeners!
We also hear a couple of pieces with concert tie-ins: to Saturday's Rome Symphony performance, including a Vivaldi oboe concerto; the all-Mendelssohn LaGrange Symphony concert next Tuesday with Sergiu Schwartz as violin soloist; and the Eroica Trio's Sara Sant'Ambrogio and Emory University's William Ransom playing Beethoven's complete works for cello and piano in Atlanta over the course of two evenings, October 3-4. Also note the Atlanta Symphony's Bach-Beethoven-Brahms program with pianist Peter Serkin, October 2-4) and the Atlanta Opera's zoomy production of Madama Butterfly (October 4, 7, 10, 12) - more on that Thursday.
A note on hosts: Besides Monday and Thursday, this week's Midday Music will be hosted by Russell Wells from GPB station WSVH in Savannah. Alan Cooke's Friday show returns next week.
- Bloch: Suite Hebraique: Affirmation. Trio Lyra. CBC 1161.
- Weinberg, J.: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C major. Jorge Federico Osorio, Barcelona Sym, Rickenbacher. Naxos 8.559457.
- Vandervelde: Genesis V. Minneapolis Guitar Quartet. Albany 207.
- Schoenfield: Klezmer Rondos for flute and orchestra: mvt 2. Scott Goff, Seattle Sym, Schwarz. Naxos 8.559403.
- Steinberg: Songs for Flute, Viola and Harp. Trio Lyra. CBC 1161.
- Haydn: The Creation: "Awake the Harp." Atlanta Sym Orch & Chorus, Shaw. Telarc 80519.
- Prokofiev: Overture on Hebrew Themes. Evgeny Kissin, members of Moscow Virtuosi. Philips 456 871.
- Vivaldi: Oboe Concerto in C major, Op. 8/12. Paul Goodwin, English Concert, Pinnock. Archiv 445 839.
- Beethoven: Cello Sonata No. 3 in A major, Op. 69. Pieter Wispelwey, Dejan Lazic. Channel 22605.
- Haydn: The Creation: "The Heavens Are Telling." Radio Sym Orch & Chorus Stuttgart, Marriner. EMI 50842.
- Milhaud: The Creation of the World. Branford Marsalis, Orpheus Chamber Orch, Sony 89251.
- Dvorak: Romantic Pieces, Op. 75. Sergiu Schwartz, Alec Chien. Romeo 7263.
- Schoenfield: Trio for clarinet, violin and piano. Charles Neidich, Lev Polyakin, Frances Renzi. Innova 544.
- Weissgall: T'kiatot: shofar call. Steven Ovitsky. Naxos 8.559425.