Tying in to offerings at the Madison Chamber Music Festival, we hear the Milwaukee-based Fine Arts Quartet (which appears Friday in Madison - that's Madison, Georgia, not Wisconsin) and pianist Valentina Lisitsa (who plays Schumann there tonight), as well as major Mussorgsky that Vassily Primakov performs Sunday afternoon in its original piano form.
Interested in acquiring today's CDs? Here are links to the Glazunov, Brahms, Tavener, Mozart, Tchaikovsky and Mussorgsky cited below. They should be available from PB-1 as well as Amazon, and it does benefit GPB if you go through PB-1.
(Valentina Lisitsa's performance of Schubert/Liszt comes from the Georgian Chamber Players' recent two-CD set Our Sunday Best. On the Atlanta-based ACA Digital label, it's not available nationally but should be. It includes a thrilling Mendelssohn Octet with William Preucil as first violinist, plus assorted Haydn, Dohnanyi, Shostakovich and Schubert.)
- Glazunov: Five Novelettes, Op. 15: Alla Spagnuola. Fine Arts Quartet (Naxos 8.570256)
- Brahms: String Sextet No. 1 in B-flat, Op. 18. Lindsays, Williams, Watkins (ASV 4016)
- Tavener: Village Wedding. Chanticleer (Teldec 3984 24570)
- Mozart: Sinfonia No. 7 in D, K. 45. Concentus Musicus Vienna, Harnoncourt (DHM 63970)
- Schubert/Liszt: Die Taubenpost. Valentina Lisitsa (ACA 20102)
- Tchaikovsky: Souvenir de Florence, string sextet in D minor. Ying Quartet, Dunham, Katz (Telarc 80685)
- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition. Oslo Phil Orch, Jansons (EMI 50824)
- Nielsen: Helios Overture. Danish National Radio Sym, Rozhdestvensky (Chandos 9287)