As a follow-up to Monday's post, in which I bemoaned the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's decision to prune its full-time classical music critic and other important staffers, here are some links of interest:
- the text of Robert Spano's letter to the editor,
- a petition organized by the Atlanta Symphony, to remain online until June 7,
- and an article, "Atlanta Arts Coverage in Turmoil," in Musical America.
This is my last playlist for a few days. Alan Cooke not only hosts the Friday requests show as usual; he'll also be with you Memorial Day and all next week. For details on Alan's shows, please see his blog.
- Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake: Dance of the Little Swans. London Sym, Thomas (Sony 46592)
- Glazunov: String Quintet in A major, Op. 39. Fine Arts Quartet, Nathaniel Rosen (Naxos 8.570256)
- Falla: Suite Populaire Espagnole. Yuli Turovsky, I Musici de Montreal (Analekta 9897)
- Vierdanck: Passamezzo in A minor; La sua Gagliarda. Parnassi Musici (CPO 777 205)
- Brahms: Rondo alla Zingarese from Piano Quartet No. 1. Quartetto Gelato (QG 2 70025)
- Liszt: Fantasy on Hungarian Folk Tunes. Louis Lortie, Residentie Orch, Pehlivanian (Chandos 10371)
- Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat, Op. 53. Evgeny Kissin (RCA 82876-68668)
- Aston: Gaude, virgo mater Christi. Stile Antico (Harmonia Mundi 907419)
- Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 5 in C minor, Op. 10/1: Prestissimo. Andras Schiff (ECM 1942)
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major. Vienna Phil, Kleiber (DG 447 400)
- Couperin: Les Baricades Mysterieuses. Alexandre Tharaud (Harmonia Mundi 901956)