High notes from low strings: two cello pieces and one for double bass on GPB's Midday Music. Also, a new Rachmaninoff recording from the 24-year-old who has been dubbed the heir to the great Russian piano tradition, Alexander Romanovsky.
- Geminiani: Concerto Grosso No. 12 in D minor, Variations on "La Follia." Boston Baroque, Pearlman. Telarc 80698.
- Rachmaninoff: Variations on a Theme of Corelli (La Folia), Op. 42. Alexander Romanovsky. Decca 476 3334.
- Schumann: Cello Concerto, Op. 129. Yo-Yo Ma, Bavarian Radio Sym, Davis. CBS 44562.
- Fernandez: Ratso Scherzo for piano and orchestra; Tone Poem for clarinet and strings. Alan Steinberger, Helen Goode, Royal Phil, Fernandez. Trone Music.
- Beethoven: Cello Sonata No. 3 in A major, Op. 69. Zuill Bailey, Simone Dinnerstein. Telarc 8074
- Bax: Tintagel. Halle Orchestra, Elder. Halle 7512.
- Telemann: Oboe D'Amore Concerto in A major, TWV A2. Thomas Stacy, Toronto Chamber Orch, Mallon. Naxos 8.57035.
- Ravel: Introduction and Allegro for harp, flute, clarinet and strings. Renie Yamahata, Prague Virtuosi, Briccetti. Discover 920281.
- Meyer: Double Bass Concerto in D. Edgar Meyer, Saint Paul Chamber Orch, Wolff. Sony 60956.
- Debussy: Syrinx for solo flute. Angela Jones. Discover 920281.