Two musicians on GPB's Midday Music are in Georgia to perform this weekend: Garrick Ohlsson, who appears with the Atlanta Symphony in Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto starting Thursday, and Adele Anthony, who plays the Sibelius Violin Concerto with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra on Saturday.
On Midday Music we also hear some of the juicy repertoire coming up in concert: Brahms' Clarinet Quintet (New York Soloists in Augusta), Glinka's Russlan and Ludmilla Overture and Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony (Albany Symphony in Albany), and the aforementioned Sibelius concerto. And introducing a couple of those pieces will be Claire Fox Hillard and George Del Gobbo, conductors respectively of the Albany and Columbus symphonies.
For concert details please see our September calendar.
Friday at 11 tune in again for Midday Music with Eric Nauert.
- Brahms: Clarinet Quintet in B minor. David Schifrin, Emerson String Quartet. DG 289 459 641.
- Scriabin: Eight Etudes, Op. 42: Nos. 4-8. Garrick Ohlsson. Bridge 9287.
- Glinka: Russlan and Ludmilla, Overture. Baltimore Sym Orch, Zinman. Telarc 80378.
- Handel: Music for the Royal Fireworks: La Rejouissance. Boston Baroque, Pearlman. Telarc 80594.
- Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 in E minor. Philadelphia Orch, Eschenbach. Ondine 1076.
- Sarasate: Navarra. Gil Shaham, Adele Anthony, Sym Orch of Castille y Leon. Canary 07.
- Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D minor. Ilya Gringolts, Gothenburg Sym, Jarvi. DG 2249.
- Ewazen: Violin Concerto: Finale. Adele Anthony, Sejong. Albany 577.