In 1785 Mozart got a commission from the Viennese Society of Musicians (Wiener Tonkünstlersozietät, a charitable organization sometimes translated as the Viennese Society of Composers, or Artists). They asked him to write something for their benefit concert, which was during Lent. Mozart didn't have a lot of time, so he started by recycling music he'd already composed for his unfinished "Great" Mass in C minor. The new text was in Italian, based on penitential psalms of David. In the first hour of Midday Music we hear the resulting work, Davide Penitente, in a new Naxos recording. It begins: "I raised my weeping cries to the Lord..."
As for concerts around Georgia, instead of posting daily links, I'm experimenting with posting one single weekly list, usually on Tuesday. Efficient for me; hopefully handy for you. This week's roundup is here. And now, today's playlist.
- Mozart: Great Mass in C minor, opening minutes. Concentus Musicus Wien, Harnoncourt. Teldec 72479.
- Mozart: Davide Penitente. Immortal Bach Ensemble (love that name), Leipzig Chamber Orchestra, Lund, Wahlin, Odinius, Schuldt-Yensen. Naxos 8.570231.
- Bach: Keyboard Partita No. 4 in D major: Allemande. Cedric Tiberghien. Harmonia Mundi 901869.
- Schumann: Piano Concerto in A minor. Helene Grimaud, German Sym, Zinman. Erato 0630-11727.
- Chaminade: Toccata, Op. 39. Louise Cheadle. AW Promotions 2204.
- Monteverdi: Arianna's Lament (polyphonic transcription). Delitiae Musicae, Longhini. Naxos 8.555312-13.
- Dvorak: Piano Quartet in E-flat, Op. 87. Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center (Wu Han, piano). CMS.
- Purcell: Three Parts upon a Ground (fantazia). Taverner Players, Parrott. Virgin 391340.