The main Georgia concert story from Thursday forward is in Savannah, with the Savannah Music Festival. It's a big deal, a huge, multi-genre festival. Of special interest to classical fans is the "Sensations" chamber music series, directed by and starring violinist Daniel Hope - whom we hear atop an octet in today's noon hour. I'll be featuring several artists and lots of rep from Savannah over the coming weeks.
Other tie-ins today playlist include pianist Nicholas Angelich (heard in the Mendelssohn trio here; soloist this weekend with the Atlanta Symphony), the Bach chorus (the Augusta Choral Society sings "Ruht Wohl" on Good Friday), Savannah-bound pianists Yundi Li (Thursday) and Jonathan Biss (Monday), and Lehar's Merry Widow Overture (the Czech Opera Prague offers the whole Merry Widow in Atlanta Sunday). See this week's concert list for details on all.
- Handel: Organ Concerto in G minor, Op. 4/1. Ton Koopman, Amsterdam Baroque Orch. Erato 88136.
- Mendelssohn: Piano Trio No. 1 in C minor. Nicholas Angelich, Renaud Capucon, Gautier Capucon. EMI 58472.
- Byrd: In nomine a 5; Have mercy upon us. Fretwork, Choir of Magdalen College Oxford. Harmonia Mundi 907440.
- Salzedo: Whirlwind, from Five Preludes for Solo Harp. Elisabeth Remy. ACA Digital 20070.
- Bach: St. John Passion: "Ruht Wohl." Collegium Vocale Gent, Herreweghe. Harmonia Mundi 901748.49.
- Chopin: Scherzo No. 1 in B minor. Yundi Li. DG 3887.
- Mendelssohn: Octet: first movement. Daniel Hope, soloists of Chamber Orch of Europe. DG 477 6634.
- Scriabin: Preludes, Op. 22. Piers Lane. Hyperion 67057/8.
- Allegri: Miserere. Tallis Scholars, Phillips. Gimell 339.
- Grechaninov: Passion Week: Nos. 5-6. Phoenix Bach Choir, Kansas City Chorale, Bruffy. Chandos 5044.
- Honegger: Concerto da Camera. Netherland Radio Phil, Fournet. Denon 78831.
- Schumann: Arabesque: Jonathan Biss. EMI 65391.
- Lehar: Merry Widow, Overture. Berlin Radio Sym, Jurowski. CPO 999 891.