Violinist Cecylia Arzewski has announced that this will be her last season as concertmaster of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Her duties include not only leading the string section but also playing one concerto annually. For her final solo appearance as concertmaster of the ASO, she performs music by Armenian-Soviet composer Aram Khatchaturian, tonight through Saturday. Hear that Khatchaturian Violin Concerto - and other of his hits - in the first hour of Midday Music. There's more Soviet orchestral music of the stage in the noon hour: Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, which the St. Petersburg Ballet dances in Athens Sunday. (Georgia concert info.) We also hear the Imani Winds (featured on St. Paul Sunday, Sunday at noon on GPB ) and a highlight from Verdi's Otello (which comes to you live from the Met Saturday over GPB).
- Khatchaturian: Gayaneh, Suite. Boston Pops, Williams. Philips 426 247.
- Khatchaturian: Violin Concerto in D minor. Szeryng, London Sym, Dorati. Mercury 434 318.
- Khatchaturian:Adagio from Spartacus. Swedish Radio Sym, Svetlanov. Ondine 938.
- Joplin: The Chrysanthemum. Benjamin Loeb. Naxos 8.559277.
- Copland: Letter from Home. Buffalo Phil, Falletta. Naxos 8.559240.
- Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, scenes. San Francisco Sym, Thomas. RCA 59424.
- Verdi: Ave Maria, from Otello and Quattro Pezzi Sacri. Atlanta Sym Orch Chorus, Shaw. Telarc 80254.
- Handel: Concerto Gross in F major, Op. 6/9. Boston Baroque, Pearlman. Telarc 80688.
- Bach: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (chorale from Cantata No. 147). Taverner Consort and Players, Parrott. Virgin 391340.
- Fibich: Moods, Op. 41, Part 1, selections. William Howard, piano. Chandos 9381.
- D'Rivera: Aires Tropicale. Imani Winds. Koch 7599.