From today's Midday Music playlist, I'd especially like to point out two new recordings. First, the young Claremont Trio. It's made up of Columbia- and Juilliard-educated twins Emily and Julia Bruskin and one-time Canadian prodigy Donna Kwong. Their new CD includes Shostakovich and the Arensky we hear.
Then after noon we listen to a choral mass by Luigi Cherubini. Cherubini was recovering from depression when he wrote this Missa Solemnis. In this Grammy-nominated EMI recording it has a comforting, lush sound I just want to sink into.
- Satie: Jack-in-the-Box, arr. guitars. Peter Fletcher. Centaur 2731.
- Arensky: Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor. Claremont Trio. Tria Records 3860.
- Walton: Violin Concerto: Vivace. James Ehnes, Vancouver Sym, Tovey. CBC 5241.
- Bach: Concerto in A major, BWV 1055, arr. trumpet and organ. Alison Balsom, Colm Carey. EMI 58047.
- Cherubini: Missa Solemnis in E: Kyrie, Gloria, Agnus Dei. Bavarian Radio Sym & Orch, Ruth Ziesak et al., Riccardo Muti. EMI 94316.
- Schubert: Ave Maria. Maxim Vengerov, Virtuosi, Papian. EMI 57164,
- Rodgers: Carousel, orchestral suite. Cincinnati Pops, Kunzel. Telarc 80278.
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Flight of the Bumblebee. Paisov, Shcherbakova. Naxos 8.570596.
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 16 in D major, K. 451. Andras Schiff, Camerata Academica of the Salzburg Mozarteum, Vegh. London 433 374.
- Sibelius: Scenes Historiques II, Op. 66. New Zealand Sym, Inkinen. Naxos 8.570068.