Of interest to GPB music fans: Though you might still hear Terrance McKnight's voice on Studio GPB for now, those are actually reruns. Terrance pulled up stakes last month to become an evening host at WNYC in a little town called New York. A meaty article about Terrance appeared in yesterday's New York Times. "Eclectic Public-Radio Show Has Found Its Voice."
If it's dark and wet where you are today, keep your spirits dry with the three big symphonic works on Midday Music.
- Novacek, O.: Perpetuum Mobile. Maxim Vengerov, Virtuosi, Papian. EMI 57164.
- Schubert: "Great" Symphony in C major (Symphony No. 9). Vienna Phil, Gardiner. DG 289 457 648.
- Brahms: Horn Trio: Finale. Emory Chamber Music Society of Atlanta. ACA Digital 20033.
- Copland: Symphony No. 3. New York Phil, Bernstein. Sony 63155.
- Schubert/Liszt: Die Taubenpost. Valentina Lisitsa (Georgian Chamber Players). ACA Digital 20102.
- Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition. Oslo Phil, Jansons. EMI 50824. (To see some of the art by Viktor Hartmann that Modest Mussorgsky immortalizes in Pictures at an Exhibition, see here.)
- Asafyev: Oboe Sonatina. Ival Paisov, Natalia Shcherbakova. Naxos 8.570596.