Concert tie-ins. On Midday Music we hear performers appearing in GPB's listening area: Miles Hoffman and the American Chamber Players, coming to Augusta Friday; Roberto Diaz, part of the Diaz Trio Friday in Macon; star siblings Gil and Orli Shaham, in recital Saturday at Spivey Hall; and from Germany the Leipzig String Quartet, headed for Auburn, Ala. Wednesday the 20th.
We also hear music about to be played in Georgia: Wagner's Bridal Chorus, for the Macon Symphony; Beethoven's Seventh, for the Israel Chamber Orchestra, coming to Athens; Arianna's Lament by Locatelli, for the Atlanta Baroque Orchestra; and Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, for the Albany Symphony. Quite a crop!
A clickable list of these and other concerts appears above.
- Mozart: "Kegelstatt" Trio in E-flat for piano, clarinet and viola, K. 498. American Chamber Players, Hoffman. Koch 7029.
- Locatelli: Arianna's Lament (Concerto Grosso Op. 7/6). Il Giardino Armonico, Antonini. Naive 30399.
- Dvorak: Romantic Pieces, Op. 75. Gil Shaham, Orli Shaham. DG 449 820.
- Prokofiev: Love for Three Oranges: March. French Radio Phil, Jarvi. Virgin 45609
- Wagner: Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin (the tune known as "Here Comes the Bride"). Bavarian Radio Sym Orch and Chorus, Kubelik. DG 457 196.
- Haydn: Variations on "God Save Franz the Emperor" from String Quartet in C, Op. 76/3 (known as the "Emperor" Quartet). Leipzig String Quartet. MDG 307 1362.
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major. Vienna Phil, Kleiber. DG 447 400.
- Shostakovich: The Golden Age: Polka. French Radio Phil, Jarvi. Virgin 45609.
- Tchaikovsky/Primrose: None but the Lonely Heart. Roberto Diaz, Robert Koenig. Naxos 8.557391.
- Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra. San Francisco Sym, Blomstedt. London 443 773.
- Aguirre/Heifetz: Huella: movido y energico. Roberto Diaz, Robert Koenig. Naxos 8.557391.