The final hour of Midday Music focuses on the Columbus Symphony Orchestra's upcoming concert, "Fabulous Fifths." Piano soloist Antonio Pompa-Baldi starts the hour, on disc. Then music director George Del Gobbo describes the fare on the concert, from the opening "palate-cleanser" by Boyce to meatier works by Beethoven and Prokofiev into which the orchestra can really "sink their teeth." (He thinks gastronomically!) And we finish up with Prokofiev's Fifth Symphony itself. The concert is Saturday 7:30 at Columbus's RiverCenter.
See a list of concerts around the state below.
- Collins: Hibernia, Irish Rhapsody. Scottish National Orch, Alsop. Albany 630.
- Hummel: Piano Trio No. 4, Op. 65. Staier, Sepec, Queyras. Harmonia Mundi 901955.
- Elgar: Severn Suite, transcribed for wind ensemble. Senzoku Gakuen Symphonic Wind Orch, Reed. Klavier 11140.
- Goldberg: Sonata in C for Two Violins and Continuo. Musica Alta Ripa. MDG 309 0709.
- Holst: St. Paul's Suite. English Sinfonia, Griffiths. Naxos 9.570339.
- Grieg: Piano Concerto in A minor. Leif Ove Andsnes, Berlin Phil, Jansons.
- Grieg. short piano work tba. Antonio Pompa-Baldi. Centaur 2726.
- Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5.