Stage director and South Carolina native Trevore Ross joins us in the noon hour to walk us through half an hour of musical and emotional highlights from The Marriage of Figaro.
The Atlanta Opera's run of Mozart's Marriage of Figaro begins April 26. Performances continue April 29, May 2 and May 4 at the Cobb Energy Centre, just off I-75 northwest of downtown Atlanta. Trevore Ross directs and Kenneth Montgomery conducts. The cast includes Tommi Hakala and Twyla Robinson as the Count and Countess, Stephen Morscheck and Alyson Cambridge as newlywed-wannabes Figaro and Susanna, and Sandra Piques Eddy as the adolescent page Cherubino.
On Midday Music, I pair Trevore's pointers with extensive selections from the Grammy-winning recording of the opera with Rene Jacobs conducting.
For links to the Atlanta Opera's production and other classical performances in Georgia over the next couple of days - live artists! in real time! hopefully in a venue near you! - please see our current concert list.
Note: Alan Cooke hosts Midday Music the rest of this week.
- Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 2. Cincinnati Sym Orch, Jarvi. Telarc 80670.
- Smetana: The Moldau. Janacek Phil, Kuchar. Brilliant 93634.
- Mozart: The Marriage of Figaro (Le nozze di Figaro), highlights. Simon Keenlyside, Count; Veronique Gens, Countess; Patrizia Ciofi, soprano; Lorenzo Regazzo, Figaro; Angelika Kirschlager, Cherubino; Collegium Vocale Gent; Concerto Koln; Rene Jacobs. Harmonia Mundi 901818.20.
- Bizet: Carmen, Suite No. 2: Danse Boheme. Montreal Sym, Dutoit. London 417 839.
- Vivaldi: Four Seasons: Spring, arr. five recorders. Marion Verbruggen, Flanders Recorder Quartet.
- Turina: Rapsodia Sinfonica. Angela Cheng, Calgary Phil, Hans Graf. CBC 5195.
- Brahms: Variations on a Theme of Paganini. Alexander Kobrin. Harmonia Mundi 907404.
- Bizet: L'Arlesienne, Suite No. 2: Farandole. Montreal Sym, Dutoit. London 417 839.