Are you a bargain hunter like me? Here's a tip. You can get a lot musical bang for the buck from Brilliant Classics. The British label puts put out appealing boxes jam-packed with perfectly decent performances on multiple CDs, and they don't charge much. Today, sampling two new Brilliant boxes, we hear Moncayo's Huapango from the eight-disc Musica Mexicana and, in what has to be a GPB premiere, the obscure Festive Symphony by Smetana, from a three-CD set of his Ma Vlast & Complete Orchestral Works.
NOTE: For details on this week's Atlanta Symphony broadcast, with conductor Donald Runnicles and 20-year-old pianist Adam Golka, please see that program's very own blog, theasoongpb.blogspot.com (where "theasoongpb" means The ASO on GPB), and then join me for Adams, Ravel and Berlioz, Thursday, May 1 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, May 4 at 10 p.m. on GPB.
- Glazunov: Serenade No. 1. Moscow Sym, Ziva. Naxos 9.555048.
- Haydn: "Sunrise" Quartet (String Quartet in B-flat, Op. 76/4). Jerusalem Quartet. BBC Music Mag 95.
- Vine, Carl: Piano Sonata No. 1: Mvt 2. Joyce Yang. Harmonia Mundi 907405.
- Moncayo: Huapango. State of Mexico Sym, Batiz. Brilliant Classics 8771.
- Adam: Giselle: Magic scene from Act 2. Orch of Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Bonynge. London 417 505.
- Vaughan Williams: The Wasps, Overture. English Sym, Boughton. Nimbus 5450/3.
- Barrios: Cueca, Chilean Dance. Manuel Barrueco. EMI 56578.
- Mancini, Francesco (not to be confused with Henry): Sonata No. 11 (1724). Rubato Appassionato. MA Recordings M075A.
- Berlioz: Requiem: Rex Tremendae; Sanctus. Atlanta Sym Orch & Chorus, Spano. Telarc 80627.
- Bruckner: "Romantic" Symphony No. 4: Scherzo. San Francisco Sym, Blomstedt. London 443 327.
- Smetana: Festive Symphony in E major, Op. 6. Janacek Phil Orch, Kuchar. Brilliant Classics 93634.
- Swain: Song at Evening. Helen Callus, Phillip Bush. ASV 1184.