Three stories about north Georgia colleges just came to my attention:
Spelman College concert celebrates all-Steinway status. To mark its joining a prestigious group of institutions designated as All-Steinway Schools, Atlanta's Spelman College presented Leon Bates in concert (on a Steinway piano) April 16. More about Spelman's "all-Steinway status."
University of West Georgia's Jazz Percussion Group selected to play Italy. UWG students will perform at the International Society of Music Educators Conference in Bologna in July. April 23 they provide a sneak peek in Carrollton of the program they'll take overseas. Concert details here.
Emory University forces present Emory composer's Stabat Mater. Love and loss are the themes at the heart of the Pulitzer-nominated Stabat Mater by Emory's Richard Prior. Thursday and Friday, April 17-18, Emory's student orchestra and chorus, plus guest artists, present the work's local premiere. Read more here and here.
For other classical happenings around the state, please see ye olde concert list.
And now, today's playlist, featuring violinist Hilary Hahn's new recording of the Sibelius concerto. Friday Alan Cooke hosts Midday Music requests.
- Chopin: Four Mazurkas, Op. 17. Leif Ove Andsnes. Virgin 61317.
- Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D minor. Hilary Hahn, Swedish Radio Sym, Salonen. DG 10858.
- Grieg: Two Melodies, Op. 53. Antonio Pompa-Baldi. Centaur 2726.
- Gimenez: Intermezzo from La Boda de Luis Alonso. Burning River Brass. Dorian 90316.
- Tarrega: Capricho Arabe; Memories of the Alhambra. David Russell. Telarc 80576.
- Still: "Afro-American" Symphony (Symphony No. 1). Chicago Sinfonietta, Freeman. Cedille 055.
- Joplin: The Chrysanthemum. Benjamin Loeb. Naxos 8.559277.
- Handel: Concerto Grosso, Op. 3/1 in B-flat. Academy of Ancient Music, Egarr. Harmonia Mundi 907415.
- Dvorak: Symphony No. 5 in F major. Czech Phil, Belohlavek. Brilliant 93635 (new box set of complete Dvorak symphonies).
- Traditional/Jennings: Amazing Grace. Yvette Flunder, Chanticleer. Warner 60309 9"How Sweet the Sound").