I speak with countertenor David Daniels in the noon hour on GPB. He's starring as Orpheus, who retrieves his wife from the underworld, in the Atlanta Opera's current production of Orfeo ed Euridice. Remaining shows are tonight, Friday evening and Sunday afternoon.
On Midday Music we also hear recordings from the Gryphon Trio, Manuel Barrueco and the Cypress Quartet, who all perform in these parts this week (in Auburn, LaGrange and Augusta, respectively). Please follow the links in the concert list above for details.
UPDATE: The Gryphon Piano Trio's appearance in Auburn has been canceled and will be rescheduled at a later date.
- Lalo: Piano Trio in A minor, Op. 26. Gryphon Trio. Analekta 3127.
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 12 in A major, K. 414. Mitsuko Uchida, English Chamber Orch, Tate. Philips 422 258.
- Bach: Cantata No. 170: "Vergnugte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust." David Daniels, English Concert, Picket. Virgin 519037.
- Conversation with countertenor David Daniels
- Gluck: Orpheus and Euridice: "Che far senza Euridice?" Michael Chance, Tafelmusik, Bernius. Sony 48040.
- More conversation with countertenor David Daniels
- Bach: Cantata No. 208: "Schafe koennen sicher weiden" (aria "Sheep May Safely Graze"). David Daniels, English Concert, Picket. Virgin 519037.
- Dvorak: Serenade for Strings in E major, Op. 22. Metamorphosen Chamber Orch, Yoo. Archetype 60105.
- Barrios: Una limosna por el amor de Dios. Manuel Barrueco. EMI 56578.
- Beethoven: String Quartet No. 16 in F major, Op. 135. Cypress String Quartet. Cypress.