Saint Cecilia's Day is November 21, so on GPB just one day late we'll celebrate the patron saint of music. Looking ahead to Thanksgiving we'll also hear give thanks - with music celebrating deliverance from the plague in Venice, but you know, think of it in whatever terms work for you. And with that mythical grandmother's house in mind, we'll go over the river - several rivers. Tomorrow: continuing on through several woods.
- Purcell: Hail, Bright Cecilia! Ode for St. Cecilia's Day (1692): Symphony (Introduction) and final choruses. Taverner Consort, Choir & Players, Parrott. Virgin 50999 266356.
- Dvorak: Violin Concerto in A minor. Arabella Steinbacher, Berlin Radio Sym, Janowski. PentaTone 5186 353,
- Mussorgsky: Dawn on the Moscow River (Khovanshchina, Prelude). Oslo Phil, Jansons. EMI 50824.
- Instrumental selections from a composite Mass of Thanksgiving (Venice, November 21, 1631; music by Monteverdi et al.; liturgical reconstruction by Keyte & Parrott). Usper: Sonata a 8. Marini: Canzon quarta. Fantini: Sonata Imperiale II & Intrada. Taverner Players, Parrott. Virgin 50999 9 66965.
- Vaughan Williams: Piano Concerto in C. Ashley Wass, Royal Liverpool Phil, Judd. Naxos 8.572304.
- Wagner: Gotterdammerung: Dawn and Siegfried's Rhine Journey.
- Piazzolla: Rio Sena (Seine River). Rosa Antonelli. Albany 1140.
- Vivaldi: La Senna Festeggiante (The Seine Rejoicing): Sinfonia to Part 1. King's Consort, King. Hyperion 67361/2.
- Napravnik: Russian Fantasy in B minor (on the Volga Boatmen's Song). Evgeny Soifertis, BBC Scottish Sym, Titov. Hyperion 67511.
- Grofe: Mississippi Suite. Boston Pops, Lockhart. BMG/RCA 68786.
- Picker: Old and Lost Rivers. Christoph Eschenbach. Virgin 91162.
- Nelson: Savannah River Holiday. Boston Pops, Lockhart BMG/RCA 68786.