GPB's Midday Music offers recordings of music and musicians to be heard around Georgia this week. Pianist Simone Dinnerstein is in recital Saturday evening at Kennesaw State, for example, and star countertenor David Daniels headlines Gluck's Orfeo with the Atlanta Opera. We'll hear them both from disc. Also on Midday Music are recordings of pieces on orchestral concerts in Macon and Augusta, as well as works from weekend programs with the Vogler Quartet and the Atlanta Chamber Players. For concert details, see the calendar listing below.
- Loeffler: Two Rhapsodies for Oboe, Viola and Piano: La Cornemuse (The Bagpipe). Klein, Young, Castro. Cedille 90000 102.
- Franck: Symphony in D minor. Orchestre des Champs Elysees, Herreweghe. Harmonia Mundi 901771.
- Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, K. 618. Tolzer Knabenchor, English Baroque Soloists, Schmidt-Gaden. Sony 75944.
- Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 32 in C minor, Op. 111. Simone Dinnerstein. Telarc 80715.
- Neusidler: Phantasia. Paul O'Dette. Harmonia Mundi 907 388.
- Shostakovich: Piano Concerto No. 2 in F major, Op. 102. Yefim Bronfman, Los Angeles Phil, Salonen. Sony 60677.
- Vivaldi: Stabat Mater in F minor for alto (countertenor) and strings, RV 621. David Daniels, Europa Galante, Biondi. Virgin 45474.
- Haydn: String Quartet in E-flat major, Op. 64/6. Lindsay String Quartet.
- Waxman: Carmen Fantasy. Yossif Ivanov, Itamar Golan. Ambroisie 136.