Our first hour ties into the Madison Chamber Music Festival, now underway in Georgia.
Tonight at the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center acclaimed pianist Andreas Haefliger does Brahms' Piano Quintet and more; on Midday Music we hear him play Schumann. Tuesday at the festival the American String Quartet and Trio RPM play Ravel and Debussy; on GPB we sample the quartet by Ravel. And Wednesday in Madison it's the fantastic Octet by Mendelssohn played by the Parker String Quartet and friends; on Midday Music festival director Christopher Rex et al. tear through that masterpiece.
Whet your appetite for live chamber music? Madison is off I-20 south of Athens. Here's the festival's website.
- Mendelssohn: Octet. Georgian Chamber Players and friends, including William Preucil, violin I. ACA 20102.
- Schumann: Davidsbundler Dances, Book 1. Andreas Haefliger. Sony 48036.
- Ravel: String Quartet: mvt 2 (Assez vif). Casals Quartet. HMI 987072.
- Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major. Stephen Hough, City of Birmingham Sym, Oramo. Hyperion 67331.
- Salgan/Morel: Don Agustin Bardi. Ricardo Cobo. Naxos 8.557329.
- Mozart: Quintet for Piano and Winds in E-flat, K. 452. Uchida, Black, King, Lloyd, O'Neill. Philips 422 592.
- Brahms: Symphony No. 3.