Albany Symphony music director Claire Fox Hillard joins us twice today to talk about the orchestra's busy week of performances. Tonight is the popular "Peppermint Pops" concert, with a cast of many and a participatory audience of many more, at 7:30 at the capacious James H. Gray Sr. Civic Center in Albany. Then Saturday it's "A Classical Christmas" with Saint-Saens' Christmas Oratorio and seasonal favorites by Corelli and Vaughan Williams, at the more intimate Albany Municipal Auditorium.
Elsewhere in Georgia, tonight is the night for Augusta's 19th annual Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols with the Augusta Choral Society and Collegium Music at the Sacred Heart Cultural Center. Thursday you might opt for "A Cowboy Christmas" with the Columbus Symphony and Riders in the Sky. Or try one of these standbys, in a community near you:
- Augusta Choral Society's singalong performance, Friday 12/7, Sacred Heart Cultural Center, Augusta
- Rome Symphony performance, Saturday 12/8, 7:30, Rome City Auditorium, Rome
- Atlanta Symphony performance, 12/13 & 15, Symphony Hall, Atlanta
- Newnan multi-church singalong, 7:00, Friday 12/14, St. Paul's Episcopal, Newnan
- Savannah Sinfonietta's singalong performance, Friday 12/14, Wesley UMC, Savannah
- Michael O'Neal Singers' singalong performance up to Hallelujah Chorus, Sunday 12/16, 3:00, Roswell UMC, Roswell
- Atlanta Ballet, throughout December, times vary, Fox Theatre, Atlanta
- Nutcracker of Middle Georgia, December 5-9, Grand Opera House, Macon
Today on Midday Music we're hearing...
11 AM . . . .
- Reznicek: Eine Lustpiel-Ouverture. WDR Sym Orch Cologne, Jurowski (CPO 777 047)
- Schumann: Piano Sonata No. 1 in F-sharp minor, Op. 11. Angela Hewitt (Hyperion 67618)
- Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on Greensleeves. New Zealand Sym, Judd (Naxos 8.555867)
- Respighi: Brazilian Impressions. Buffalo Phil, Falletta (Naxos 8.557711)
- Kraus: Olympie, Incidental Music. New Zealand Sym Orch, Grodd (Naxos 8.570334)
- Byrd: Ne irascaris, Domine. Tallis Scholars, Phillips (Gimell 208)
- Beethoven: String Quartet No. 6 in B-flat, Op. 18/6. Tokyo String Quartet (Harmonia Mundi 907436.37)
- Enescue: Octet, Op. 7: Finale. Kremerata Baltica (Nonesuch 79682)
- Adler, S.: To Celebrate a Miracle (Hanukkah fantasy). University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory Wind Sym, Winther (Naxos 8.559410)