Seasonal choral fare is on offer at the far eastern and western sides of Georgia. Tonight in Augusta, the Augusta Collegium Musicum (left) performs a Christmas concert at 7:30 p.m. at the Augusta Museum of History.
Then tomorrow in LaGrange the Sons of Lafayette male choir (below) teams up with the LaGrange Symphony Orchestra for favorite choruses from Vivaldi's Gloria and Handel's Messiah and other seasonal fare (plus Hummel's Bassoon Concerto with soloist Constantin Barcov, because...well, why not?). The concert starts at 7:30 p.m. at LaGrange College's Callaway Auditorium. (If you can't make Tuesday's performance, they'll be at it again Saturday at 3:00, minus the bassoonist, because...well, why not?)
On Midday Music we move into the two-week period before Christmas with Antonio Vivaldi's Gloria and Samuel Barber's orchestral fantasy on carol tunes. The show wraps up with a couple of nods to the hero of the Hanukkah story, Judah Maccabee. Tonight is the second-to-last night of that holiday.
11 AM . . . .
- Vivaldi: Concerto for Two Trumpets, arr. brass quintet. Canadian Brass (Philips 432 571)
- Vivaldi: Gloria in D major. College of King's College Cambridge, Academy of Ancient Music, Cleobury (EMI 57265)
- Barber: Die Natalis. Royal Scottish National Orch, Alsop (Naxos 8.559133)
- Mainerio: Five Dances from The First Book of Dances (1578). Early Music Consort of London, Munrow (Testament 1080)
- Stanford: Piano Quartet in F major, Op. 15. Ames Piano Quartet (Albany 910/11)
- Marcello: Concerto No. 4 in E minor from La Cetra. Collegium Musicum 90, Standage (Chaconne 0744)
- Sarasate: Moscovienne. Tianwa Yang, Markus Hadulla (Naxos 8.570192)
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor, K. 466. Martha Argerich, Padua and Veneto Orch, Rabinovitch (Teldec 4509 98407 2; pictured: 0927 46740 2)
- Beethoven: Twelve Variations on a Theme ("See the Conquering Hero Comes") from Handel's Judas Maccabeus. Anne Gastinel, Francois-Frederic Guy (Naive 4995)
- Handel: Judas Maccabeus: See the Conquering Hero Comes; March; Sing unto God. Academy and Chorus of St. Martin in the Fields, Marriner (Philips 13-15)