Holiday musical festivities continue across Georgia both live in local venues and recorded over Georgia Public Broadcasting. As always, Midday Music helps you connect the two. You have to listen on air or online in real time, though; we're not ready quite yet for instant online archiving. Today...
- Columbus Symphony music director George Del Gobbo tells us about tonight's "Cowboy Christmas" with Riders in the Sky (one answer to the eternal quest for novel holiday concerts!), and we hear classical music's most famous orchestral cowboy tunes.
- The LaGrange Symphony's Patricio Cobos describes the LSO's Christmas concert, a collaborative celebration coming up Tuesday with the Sons of Lafayette Male Choir and (why not!) a bassoonist, and we hear the bassoon work in question.
- And though there's no interview for this one, let me also point out the Augusta Collegium Musicum's Christmas concert just ahead on Monday at the Augusta Museum of History.
11 AM . . . .
- Handel: Messiah, Part I: And he shall purify; Behold, a virgin shall conceive; O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion. London Sym Orch, Tenebrae Choir, Sarah Mingardo, Davis (LSO Live 0607)
- Hummel: Grand Bassoon Concerto in F. Yoshiyuki Nakanishi, London Mozart Players, N. Cleobury (ASV 6159)
- Ippolitov-Ivanov: Caucasian Sketches [a musical picture of the "other" Georgia!]. Baltimore Sym, Zinman (Telarc 80378)
- Lewandowski: Hanerot Hallalu. Eaken Piano Trio (Naxos 8.554714)
- Copland: Rodeo: Four Dance Episodes. New York Phil, Bernstein (Sony 63082)
- Bizet/Loeb: The Pearl Fishers: Au fond du temple saint. Sohn, Nuttall, Loeb (Naxos 8.570202)
- Corelli: Christmas Concerto (Concerto Grosso in G minor, Op. 6/8). Europa Galante, Bionde (Naive 20012)
- Bavel: Hanukkah Fantasy. Tucson Sym, Hanson (ZBPI)
- Gibbons: Hosanna to the Son of David. Choir of King's College, S. Cleobury (EMI 94430)
- Mozart: Divertimento in D for strings, K. 136. Freiburg Baroque Orch, Mullejans (Harmonia Mundi 901809)
- Orff/Krance: Carmina Burana, Suite. Peabody Conservatory Wind Ens, Parker (Naxos 8.570242)