Well, Oceana is popping up in best-of-year lists all over! Yesterday I noted NPR's endorsement of this latest recording of music by Osvaldo Golijov with the Atlanta Symphony and Robert Spano and friends. Today the disc shows up in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's reckoning of local cultural highlights of 2007. And if you go a-googling you'll notice a Charleston critic also puts the CD on his best-of list (here), and, oh, it crops up in Philadelphia too, described as "global contempo-classical" (here), and it's listed in a New York publication (here) and in Madison, Wisconsin as well (here). So although it didn't pick up any Grammy nominations, the CD is still garnering notice regionally and beyond.
In the one o'clock hour, then, let's hear two of Golijov's creations, with singers Dawn Upshaw and Luciana Souza shining up front.
Alan Cooke hosts Midday Music this Friday and Monday. Tuesday we bring you a waltzy, schmaltzy "New Year from Vienna." Happy New Year!
- Tchaikovsky: Russian Dance. Trio Voronezh (Angel 56892)
- Alkan: Concerto for Solo Piano: first movement (allegro assai). Marc-Andre Hamelin (Hyperion 67569)
- Haydn: Sinfonia Concertante in B-flat. Berlin Philharmonic, Rattle (EMI 94237)
- Fasch: Quadro in D minor. Epocca Barocca (CPO 777 204)
- Dvorak: Piano Quartet in E-flat, Op. 87. Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center (CMS)
- Vivaldi: Trio Sonata in C major. Rolf Lislevand et al. (Naive 30429)
- Mozart/Triebensee: Don Giovanni: selection. Opera Senza (MDG 603 1464)
- Torroba: Estampas. Minneapolis Guitar Quartet (Albany 339)
- Golijov: Three Songs: Lua Descolorida. Dawn Upshaw, Atlanta Sym, Spano (DG 9069)
- Golijov: Oceana. Luciana Souza, Atlanta Sym Orch and Chorus, Los Angeles Guitar Quartet members, Gwinnett Young Singers, Spano (DG 9069)