GPB's Midday Music today serves up secular meat-and-potatoes classical staples with garnishes and sides of Christmas tunes.
On Thursday and Friday, GPB brings you special Christmas programs in lieu of Midday Music. Next week, December 28-31, please join my Savannah co-hosts Eric Nauert and Russell Wells as they host Midday Music statewide (their playlists live here). Friday, January 1 we bring you waltzes and more on New Year's Day from Vienna.
Here's a list of all our holiday programming on GPB Radio and GPB TV. I'll be back January 4. Till then, happy holidays, merry Christmas and a wonderful 2010 to you and yours!
- Respighi: The Pines of Rome. Berlin Phil, Karajan. DG 449 724.
- Brooks/Schwab: O Little Town of Bethlehem. Jacqueline Schwab. Dorian 90275.
- Bruch: Scottish Fantasy. Arthur Grumiaux, New Philharmonia Orch, Wallberg. PentaTone 5186 117.
- Pierpoint/Coleman: Jingle Bells. Imani Winds. Koch 7748.
- Mozart: Divertimento in D, K. 136. Freiburg Baroque Orch. Harmonia Mundi 901809.
- Praetorius/Summer: Variations on "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming." Mark Summer (Turtle Island String Quartet). Windham Hill 01934 11175.
- Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier, Suite. Houston Sym, Eschenbach. RCA 82876-59408.
- Traditional spiritual/Coleman: Go Tell It on the Mountain. Imani Winds. Koch 7748.
- Traditional English/Scott: I Saw Three Ships. Imani Winds. Koch 7748.
- Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major. Boston Baroque, Pearlman. Telarc 80619.
- Schumann: Concert Piece (Konzertstuck) for Four Horns and Orchestra. Philharmonia Orch, Thielemann. DG 453 482.
- Bach/Gounod: Ave Maria. Vinson Cole, Patrick Stephens. Delos 3138.
- Martin/Coleman: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Imani Winds. Koch 7748.