On Midday Music today we've got a couple of more fresh Grammy nominees: pianist Yuja Wang (solo performance category) and violinist Daniel Hope with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe (best small ensemble category). For the season we'll also break out a new recording of Handel's Messiah with the chorus Polyphony (part 1 today; part 2 tomorrow) and hear Mendelssohn's all-season musical statement of faith, his Fifth Symphony, "Reformation."
Details on some of this week's concerts and shows around Georgia are below. I hope you find time in your busy December to enjoy the performing arts live as well as on GPB.
- Tavener: O Thou Gentle Light. Choir of Clare College Cambridge, Brown. Naxos 8.572168.
- Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5, "Reformation." Vienna Phil, Gardiner. DG 289 459 156.
- Scriabin: Piano Sonata No. 2 (Sonata-Fantasy) in G-sharp minor, Op. 19. Yuja Wang. DG 12534.
- Traditional/Scott: Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella. Imani Winds. Koch 7748.
- Handel: Messiah, Part 1. Polyphony, Britten Sinfonia, Doyle, Davies, Clayton, Foster-Williams, Layton. Hyperion 67800.
- Gastoldi: Balleti (1591): A lieta vita. Baltimore Consort. Dorian 90801.
- Vivaldi: Sonata in D minor for two violins, "La Follia," Op. 1/12, RV 63. Daniel Hope, Chamber Orch Europe. DG 289 477 7463.
- Rachmaninoff: Variations on a Theme of Corelli (La Folia), Op. 42. Alexander Romanovsky. Decca 476 3334.
- Corelli: "Christmas Concerto," Concerto Grosso Op. 6/8 in G minor. L'Arte del Mondo, Ehrhardt. Phoenix Edition 149.
- Eybler: Omnes de Saba venient. WDR Radio Chorus & Orch, Lenneke Ruiten, Froschauer. Phoenix Edition 112.