After the noon news on GPB, I talk with Eric Mitchko, Atlanta Opera director of artistic administration, about Donizetti's The Elixir of Love. Who needs a real love potion when you've got a bottle of wine and the placebo effect? The Atlanta Opera production, starring soprano Georgia native Leah Partridge as the object of desire, continues tonight, Friday and Sunday at Atlanta's Cobb Energy Centre.
We also hear music to be performed this weekend by the Augusta Symphony (Hindemith) and the Georgian Chamber Players (Dohnanyi), and we hear from soprano Christine Brewer (Strauss), who makes her Spivey Hall debut Saturday, and the chamber orchestra Sejong (Vivaldi), which plays Saturday in Athens. See calendar below for details.
- Weber: Der Freischutz, Overture. Berlin Phil, Karajan. EMI 74764.
- Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes of Carl Maria von Weber. Philadelphia Orch, Ormandy. EMI 47615.
- Mozart: "Kegelstatt" Trio in E-flat for piano, clarinet and viola, K. 498. Domus Ensemble.
- Donizetti: L'Elisir d'Amore: excerpts with Luciano Pavarotti et al. (London 414 461, Richard Bonynge conducting) and conversation with the Atlanta Opera's Eric Mitchko
- Chopin: Berceuse in D-flat, Op. 57. Mac-Andre Hamelin. Hyperion 67706.
- Strauss: Four Last Songs. Christine Brewer, Atlanta Sym, Runnicles. Telarc 80661.
- Smetana: The Moldau. Milwaukee Sym, Macal. Telarc 80265.
- Vivaldi: The Four Seasons: Autumn. Cho-Liang Lin, Sejong, Newman. Naxos 8.557920.
- Dohnanyi: Piano Quintet No. 1 in C minor, Op. 1. Georgian Chamber Players, William Preucil, Gyorgy Sebok. ACA 20102.
- Mussorgsky: Khovanshchina, Prelude (Dawn over the River Moscow). Moscow Phil, Smith. Sheffield 25.