Georgia concerts this week feature pianist Orli Shaham in Athens, flamenco guitarist Paco Pena in Atlanta and soprano Christine Brewer in Atlanta; so does Georgia's midday classical program on GPB.
Symphony Orchestra Augusta opens its opener with music John Williams. The Georgia Chamber Players perform Dvorak. We play Williams and Dvorak, too.
Today's Midday Music playlist follows. Concert details for the first half of October are here.
- Prokofiev: Love for Three Oranges: March (transcr Heifetz). Gil Shaham, Orli Shaham. Vanguard/Canary 1555.
- Prokofiev: Violin Sonata No. 2 in D major, Op. 94b. Gil Shaham, Orli Shaham. Vanguard/Canary 1555.
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 19 in F major, K. 459. Mitsuko Uchida, English Chamber Orch, Tate. Philips 422 348.
- Traditional flamenco: Rizos de la Mar (alegrias); Rabanales (fandangos). Paco Pena. Wigmore 0016.
- Williams: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Hedwig's Theme. Cincinnati Pops Orch, Kunzel. Telarc 80600.
- Dvorak: Sextet in A major for strings, Op. 48. Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble. Chandos 8771.
- Purcell: Dido and Aeneas: Dido's Lament, "When I am laid in earth." Christine Brewer, Atlanta Sym Orch & Chorus, Shaw. Telarc 80333.
- Gershwin: Concerto in F for piano and orchestra. Anne-Marie McDermott, Dallas Sym, Brown. Bridge 9252.
- Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G major. Academy of Ancient Music, Egarr. Harmonia Mundi 807461.62.