These musical selections tie in to concerts by the Macon Symphony (in Macon and Eatonton), guitarist Manuel Barrueco (in Columbus and LaGrange) and pianist Stephen Hough and baritone Christian Gerhaher (each in Morrow's Spivey Hall), as well as stagings of Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta The Pirates of Penzance in Columbus and Athens and Rossini's opera Cinderella in Atlanta. And that's not all that's going on! See this week's Classical Calendar for details, and then go, Go, GO!
- Bach/Webern: Ricercare No. 2 from A Musical Offering. Munich Chamber Orch, Poppen. ECM 1774.
- Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat. Marc-Andre Hamelin, Dallas Sym, Litton. Hyperion 67550.
- Bach: Sonata No. 3 in C major, BWV 1005. Manuel Barrueco. EMI 56416.
- Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 5. Stephen Hough, City of Birmingham Sym, Oramo. Hyperion 67331/2.
- Schumann: Liederkreis after Eichendorff, Op. 39: Nos. 1-2, 12. Christian Gerhaher, Gerold Huber. RCA 88697168172.
- Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante for oboe, clarinet, horn and bassoon in E-flat, K. 297b. Freiburg Baroque Orch, Kaiser, Bruggemann, Zafra, Wieringa, Goltz. Harmonia Mundi 901897.
- Paganini: Variations on a Theme from Rossini's La Cenerentola. Salvatore Accardo, London Phil, Dutoit. DG 423 717.
- Sullivan: The Pirates of Penzance, Overture. Nimbus 5066. Scottish Chamber Orch, Faris.