Cinderella meets opera in Rossini's La Cenerentola. And in Atlanta this month, mezzo-soprano star and Marietta native Jennifer Larmore returns home to star in this opera.
On GPB in the 1 o'clock hour I speak with Canadian baritone Hugh Russell. He is in town to play Dandini, the prince's valet who dresses up as the prince to check out the girls in Cinderella's household. He walks us through much of the comedy's plot. (Spoiler alert: no glass slippers.) And we hear Jennifer Larmore herself sing selections from a Covent Garden recording on Teldec.
The Atlanta Opera's production of La Cenerentola continues November 18, 21 and 23 at the Cobb Energy Centre, Atlanta.
- Haydn: Violin Concerto No. 2 in G major. Augustin Hadelich, Cologne Chamber Orch, Muller-Bruhl. Naxos 8.570483.
- Giuliani: Menuetto, Op. 73/9. David Starobin. Bridge 9272.
- Arensky: Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor. Claremont Trio. Tria Records 3860.
- Mussorgsky: Sorochintsy Fair: Introduction. Russian National Orch, Ponti. PentaTone 5186 332.
- Telemann: Concerto in A major for four violins. Musica Antiqua Cologne, Goebbel. Archiv 289 471 492.
- Schumann: String Quartet No. 3 in F major, Op. 51/3. Fine Arts Quartet. Naxos 8.570151.
- Wagner: Prelude to Act I of Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg. Berlin Phil, Tennstedt. EMI 86248.
- Rossini: La Cenerentola, excerpts. Jennifer Larmore et al., Orch & Chorus of the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, Rizzo. Teldec 4909-94553.
- Interview with baritone Hugh Russell.
- Regondi: Etude No. 6. David Starobin. Bridge 9272.