It's raining conductors! Behind the scenes I've been interviewing music directors from around Georgia about what's in store for 2007-2008. Adrian Gnam of the Macon Symphony, George Del Gobbo of the Columbus Symphony, Donald Portnoy of Augusta, Claire Fox Hillard of Albany and Patricio Cobos of LaGrange have all stopped by GPB to chat. The plan is to deploy a snippet of scintillating conversation on Midday Music as each orchestra concert approaches. I hope you'll enjoy catching the insights and enthusiasm of a maestro near you - and then be inspired to go see him in action.
Speaking of concerts, Friday the Macon Symphony presents guest vocal quartet Spectrum in a pops event, "The Motown Sounds of Spectrum." Details here.
On air, today's Brahms sextet with the Lindsays and the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto with Maxim Vengerov look like this. (The Golub-Kaplan-Carr's Dvorak piano trios are out of print but there are other fine performances out there.)
- Prokofiev: Symphony No. 1 in D major, "Classical." Philadelphia Orch, Muti (Philips 432 992)
- Brahms: String Sextet No. 2 in G major. Lindsays, Williams, Watkins (ASV 4016)
- Gershwin: Three Preludes. Emma Johnson, Julius Drake (ASV 800)
- Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 35. Maxim Vengerov, Berlin Phil, Abbado (Teldec 4509 90881)
- Veracini: Flute Sonata in A minor. Arita, Arita, Nakano (Denon 18013)
- Barrios: Tango No. 2. Jeffrey McFadden (Naxos 8.557807)
- Dvorak: Piano Trio in F minor, Op. 65. Golub-Kaplan-Carr Trio (Arabesque Z6726)
- Champagne: Danse Villageoise. Quebec Sym Orch, Talmi (Analekta 3156)