Music series around Georgia start up in earnest in a few weeks, and I'm compiling a master calendar of events to mention on air over the course of the year. Please mail or e-mail me your press releases (GPB, 260 14th Street NW, Atlanta GA 30318; email@example.com) so we know about your community's major classical concerts. Thanks!
Today on air: a lesser-known Bruch violin concerto with James Ehnes, royal Lully with Jordi Savall, heartrendingly sublime final Schubert with thirty-something British pianist Paul Lewis, and Mozart with Christian Zacharias and friends.
- Corelli: Violin Sonata in C major, Op. 5/3. Trio Sonnerie, North (Virgin 90840)
- Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 3. James Ehnes, Montreal Sym Orch, Dutoit (CBC 5207)
- Lecuona: Aragon (Vals Espana). Thomas Tirino (BIS 754)
- Lully: Divertissement Royale. Le Concert des Nations, Savall (Alia Vox 9842)
- Mussorgsky: Mlada: Festive March. Berlin Philharmonic, Abbado (Sony 62034)
- Schubert: Piano Sonata No. 21 in B-flat, D. 960. Paul Lewis (Harmonia Mundi 901800)
- Saint-Saens: Romance in F, Op. 36. Tuckwell, Blumenthal (Etcetera 1135)
- Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 2. Racine, English Chamber Orch, Preston (Novalis 150 088)
- Couperin: L'Art de Toucher le Clavecin: Third Prelude. Robert Woolley (Chandos 0729)
- Mozart: Piano Quartet No. 1 in G minor, K. 478. Zacharias, Zimmermann, Zimmermann, Wick (EMI 75874)