For musical parody, check out the third hour of the show. You'll hear Richard Wagner's stormy Overture to The Flying Dutchman - followed by musings by Paul Hindemith on what that piece would sound like in the hands of a hack spa band: "Overture to The Flying Dutchman as Sightread by a Second-Rate Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 o'Clock in the Morning."
If that's not a strong enough visual for you, here's cover art for today's new and recent recordings (Locatelli with Il Giardino Armonico, Beethoven with John O'Conor, Nicolai with Christian Thielemann, Mendelssohn with the Wanderer Trio and Ravel with Bernarda Fink).
- Purcell: Trumpet Overture. Academy of Ancient Music (L'Oiseau-Lyre 444 339)
- Locatelli: Concerto Grosso, "Arianna's Lament." Il Giardino Armonico (Naive 30399)
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 2. John O'Conor, London Sym, Delfs (Telarc 80675)
- Traditional, arr. VColeman: Ev'ry Time I Feel the Spirit. Imani Winds (Imani 6227)
- Borodin: Polovtsian Dances: Dance of the Maidens. Bavarian, Salonen (Philips 412 552)
- Piazzolla: Milonga sin Palabras. Imani Wind Quintet (Imani 6227)
- Chopin: Scherzo No. 4 in E major. Richard Goode (Nonesuch 79452)
- Nicolai: Merry Wives of Windsor, Overture. Vienna Phil, Thielemann (DG 289 474 5022)
- Mendelssohn: Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor. Trio Wanderer (Harmonia Mundi 901961)
- Balakirev/Liapunov: Islamey. Bavarian Radio Sym, Salonen (Philips 412-552)
- Ravel: Five Greek Folksongs. Bernarda Fink, German Sym Orch Berlin, Nagano (Harmonia Mundi 901932)
- Wagner: The Flying Dutchman, Overture. Cleveland Orch, Szell (CBS 38486)
- Hindemith: Overture to The Flying Dutchman as Sightread by a Second-Rate Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 o'Clock in the Morning. Leipzig String Quartet (MDG 307 1362)
- Wolf: Intermezzo in E-flat. Leipzig String Quartet (MDG 307 1362)