In radio land on this overcast day, Midday Music concludes each hour with a Romantic work in a minor key. I'm also giving you tastes of Steve Reich and Alan Hovhaness, two Americans influenced by musics of Asia. Hope it suits your palate.
O thou concertgoer, when not listening devoutly to thine radio, why not hie thee to these: Saturday the Augusta Symphony welcomes pianist Marina Lomazov for Tchaikovsky's sweeping First Piano Concerto. The LaGrange Symphony offers Marcello's Oboe Concerto with Melissa White and a Tchaikovsky symphony next Tuesday, April 17. Also Tuesday - what a deal! - the globetrotting Takacs Quartet trots through Athens for a free concert of Brahms, Debussy and Shostakovich. And the Steve Reich festival wraps up in Atlanta, the Adaskin String Trio and oboe-toting friend visit Auburn, and pianist Angela Hewitt plays Bach in Spivey Hall (see Hewitt's own blog).
- Haydn: Piano Sonata No. 43 in A-flat. Fazil Say (Naive 5070)
- Gliere: Duets for Violin and Cello, Op. 39. Laredo, Robinson (Arabesque 6735)
- Davidoff: Cello Concerto No. 2 in A minor. Yang, Latvian National Sym, Mikkelsen (CPO 777 263)
- Reich: Tehillim: Parts 1-2. Ossia, Pierson (Cantaloupe 21009)
- Broca: Pensiamento Espanol. David Russell (Telarc 80672)
- Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor. Volodos, Berlin Phil, Ozawa (Sony 93067)
- Vierdanck: Canzona in C major. Parnassi Musici (CPO 777 205)
- Hovhaness: Return and Rebuild the Desolate Places. Wallace, Royal Scottish Academy Wind Orch, Brion (Naxos 8.559207)
- Brahms: String Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 51/2. Takacs String Quartet (London 425 526)