GPB Radio's spring fund drive starts Friday, and as of this morning we now have enough microphones in the studio for two or three of us at a time to chat with you. Thanks, Handy Andy!
We're hearing Reich and Stravinsky and Bach because of concerts: Georgia State presents a Steve Reich Festival tonight and tomorrow at Atlanta's Rialto Center, heavy on the percussion, in honor of the minimalist composer's 70th birthday. Angela Hewitt plays Bach's Goldberg Variations at Spivey Hall Saturday. And the Atlanta Symphony performs Mozart (Piano Concerto No. 17 with Garrick Ohlsson) and Stravinsky (Rite of Spring and Dumbarton Oaks) in Atlanta April 12-14 and Athens the next day.
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Mlada, Suite. Scottish National Orch, Jarvi (Chandos 10369)
- Schubert: Piano Sonata No. 20 in A, D. 959. Andras Schiff (London 440 309)
- Ravel: Piece in the Form of an Habanera. Petri, Hannibal (OUR 8.226800)
- Stravinsky: Dumbarton Oaks. St. Paul Chamber Orch, Hogwood (London 425 614)
- Mozart: Oboe Quartet in F major, K. 370. Members of Czech Nonet (Praga 250 095)
- Glazunov: Violin Concerto. Heifetz, RCA Victor Sym, Hendl (RCA 74321-63470)
- Reed: The Hounds of Spring. Keystone Wind Ensemble, Stamp (Klavier 11162)
- Bach: Keyboard Concerto in E, BWV 1052. Hewitt, Australian Chamber Orch, Tognetti (Hyperion 67308)
- Reich: Drumming: Part IV. Reich and musicians (DG 427 428)