Olympic figure skating music, continued. Yesterday we heard tunes from the Sunday pairs short program. Today it's music from or related to Monday's pairs free skate. Plus Mardi Gras!
- Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor: Finale. Yefim Bronfman, Philharmonia Orch, Salonen. Sony 47183. (Evora & Ladwig, U.S.)
- Torroba: Aires de la Mancha. David Russell. Telarc 80451; & Telemann: Don Quixote Suite. Northern Chamber Orch, Ward. Naxos 8.554019. (Taking a bit of license here. Silver medalists Pang & Tong, China, skated to "To Dream the Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha, which in turn is based on Don Quixote.)
- Schulz-Evler: Arabesques on Themes from The Beautiful Blue Danube. Piers Lane. Hyperion 66785. (Kavaguti & Smirnov, Russia.)
- Grofe: Grand Canyon Suite: Sunrise. Cincinnati Pops Orch, Kunzel. Telarc 80474. (Langlois & Hay, Canada.)
- Albinoni/Giazotto: Adagio, arr. guitar and orchestra. Sharon Isbin, Zurich Chamber Orch, Griffiths. Warner 0927 45312. (Gold medalists Shen & Zhao, China.)
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade, Symphonic Suite after The Thousand and One Nights. Atlanta Sym, Arzewski, Spano. Telarc 80568. (Two figure skating pairs sliced and diced Scheherezade, differently, for their free skates: Denney & Barrett of the U.S. and Zhang & Zhang of China.)
- Schumann: Carnaval, Op. 9. Stefan Vladar. Harmonia Mundi 901890.
- Schumann: Carnaval Jest from Vienna, Op. 26. Stefan Vladar. Harmonia Mundi 901890.