The Savannah Music Festival begins tonight, with one amazing concert after another, but there are also concerts of note this weekend in Augusta, Morrow, Columbus, Atlanta, Athens and elsewhere. Please see the list of Classical Concerts (below) for musical goings-on in your neck of the woods.
On GPB, tune in tonight at 9 for The ASO on GPB (all-Tchaikovsky, featuring Macon's own Robert McDuffie, violin). Friday please join Eric Nauert of member station WSVH for Midday Music at 11. Have a great weekend!
- Ravel: Noble and Sentimental Waltzes. Cleveland Orch, Boulez. DG 289 449 213.
- Scriabin: Twelve Etudes, Op. 8. Garrick Ohlsson. Bridge 9287.
- Muffat: Concerto Grosso No. 11 in E minor, "Delirium Amoris." Musica Aeterna Bratislava, Zajicek. Naxos 8.555743.
- Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Song. Cristina Ortiz, New Philharmonia Orch, Koizumi. EMI 64319.
- Opera Chat with Renee Wilson-Wicker about Bellini's opera La Sonnambula (The Sleepwalker). Note: Through a partnership between GPB and GMEA, any member of the Georgia Music Educators' Association is eligible to win a free pair of tickets to take a student to the high-definition broadcast of La Sonnambula live from the Metropolitan Opera at the nearest participating Georgia theater. The performance features soprano Natalie Dessay as Amina. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bellini: La Sonnambula: from the final scene, including "Ah, non credea mirarti." Eva Lind, Munich Radio Orch, Bavarian Radio Chorus, Wallberg.
- Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 2. Academy of Ancient Music, Egarr. Harmonia Mundi 807461.62.
- Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor. Daniel Hope, Chamber Orchestra of Europe. DG 477 6634.
- Schubert: String Quartet in D major, D. 94. Prazak Quartet. Praga 250 191.