You know the vaguely Mozartean theme from Performance Today? Remember the distinctive the All Things Considered theme? The theme for NPR's Morning Edition?
If you listen to much GPB, you've heard music or arrangements by Jim Pugh. Well, Pugh ("Pew") also composes music longer than 60-second radio "billboards." In addition to that, he's an award-winning trombonist who has toured with Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble and Steely Dan. We'll have evidence of James Pugh's talents at the end of today's show, when he soloes in his own Trombone Concerto.
A couple of notes: Tonight at 8:00 join me for The ASO on GPB, featuring guest conductor Hans Graf and pianist Ingrid Fliter with the Atlanta Symphony in Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Rachmaninoff. Tomorrow, Friday the Fouth, Alan Cooke offers an upbeat Independence Day edition of Midday Music at 11:00. Friday Requests will be back next week. Happy holiday! - Sarah
- Boccherini: String Quintet in D major, Op. 29/1. Kuijken, Stuurop, van Dael, Bylsma, Kuijken. Sony 63190.
- Popper: Requiem for three cellos and orchestra. Maria Kliegel et al. , Esterhazy Sinfonia, Markson. Naxos 8.554657.
- Handel: Organ Concerto in F major, Op. 4/6. Bob van Asperen, Orch of the Age of Enlightenment. Virgin 45174.
- Respighi: Belkis, Queen of Sheba, ballet suite: Dream of Solomon; Dance of Belkis at Dawn. Philharmonia Orch, Simon. Chandos 8405.
- Smetana: Hakon Jarl. Janacek Phil, Kuchar. Brilliant 93634.
- Haydn: Piano Sonata No. 62 in E-flat. Mikhail Pletnev. Virgin 61881.
- Moscheles: Concertante in F for flute, oboe and orchestra. Grauwels, Van den Hauwe, Belgian Radio Sym, Vandernoot. Naxos 8.555977.
- Matteis: Suite in C major. Arcadian Academy, McGegan. Harmonia Mundi 907067.
- Bruckner: Overture in G minor. French Radio Phil Orch, Janowski. Virgin 91206.
- Enescu: Legend for trumpet and piano. Hakan Hardenberger, Leif Ove Andsnes. EMI 56760.
- Pugh: Trombone Concerto (1992). James Pugh, Colorado Sym, Tyzik. Albany 926.