A couple of notes on today's playlist:
Haydn wrote his Mass in Time of War at a moment of Austrian patriotic frenzy, as the empire mobilized against Napoleon. It concludes, as masses are wont to do: "Dona nobis pacem," Give us peace.
Three of today's selections come from the gorgeous new CD Music for Compline, with Stile Antico singing sacred choral music from Renaissance England.
John Adams' most famous four minutes of music are probably his Short Ride in a Fast Machine. We hear a mellower side of Adams in the third hour of the show: his Berceuse elegiaque.
Connections to real-time music-making:
- Violinist Midori (featured in the Mozart) plays music of John Adams (featured in the, um, Adams) with the Atlanta Symphony this Thursday and Saturday. By the way, both Midori and John Adams will be at GPB Friday for an interview with Terrance McKnight. If you've got questions for either artist, please e-mail email@example.com.
- Clarinetist John Bruce Yeh (featured in the Babin) performs tonight with the CSU Wind Ensemble at Columbus's RiverCenter.
- Pianist Philippe Entremont (featured in the Franck) gives a recital Friday as part of the Savannah Music Festival.
- Byrd: Miserere mihi, Domine. Stile Antico (Harmonia Mundi 907419)
- Haydn: Missa in Tempore Belli, 'Paukenmesse' (Mass in Time of War, 'Kettledrum Mass'). Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Gaechinger Kantorei Stuttgart, Ziesak et al., Rilling
- Lhoyer: Duo Concertante in E minor for two guitars, Op. 31/3. Rabemananjara and Spinosi (Naive 30396)
- Sheppard: Libera nos. Stile Antico (Harmonia Mundi 907419)
- Tallis: In manus tuas. Stile Antico (Harmonia Mundi 907419)
- Mozart: Concerto in D for Violin and Piano, K.Anh.56 (315f), reconstr Wilby. Midori, Eschenbach, North German Radio Sym (Sony 89488)
- Prokofiev: Love for Three Oranges: March. Cincinnati Pops, Kunzel (Telarc 60657)
- Franck: Symphonic Variations. Entremont, Philharmonia Orch, Dutoit (CBS 46276)
- Arndt: Nola, A Silhouette for the Piano. Dowling (Klavier 11164)
- Adams: Berceuse elegiaque. Bournemouth Sym, Alsop (Naxos 559031)
- Kodaly: Hary Janos, Suite. Budapest Festival Orch, Fischer (Philips 289 462 824)
- Babin: Hillandale Waltzes. Yeh, DePaul Univ Wind Ens, DeRoch (Reference 55)