Hi, everyone! I'm the host of GPB's Midday Music, heard weekdays 11-2 in Georgia or streaming at www.gpb.org anywhere.
With this blog I'm out to connect you to classical music any way I can. It's a challenge when we serve so many communities, but I'll do my best. In my dream world this blog would transcend playlists and comments to become a one-stop clearinghouse for concert listings across Georgia, a meeting place for the arts community statewide. More realistically, I'll be providing details on the recordings I play and concerts I mention on air.
So, down to business. Here's what hit the air today:
- Haydn: Symphony No. 47 in G major. L'Estro Armonico, Solomons (CBS 39685)
- Hindemith: Clarinet Sonata. John Bruce Yeh, Easley Blackwood (Cedille 90000 072)
- Dvorak: Romance in F for violin and orchestra, Op. 11. Midori, New York Philharmonic, Mehta (CBS 44923)
- Scarlatti, A.: Concerto in A major for recorders, violins and continuo. Il Rossignolo, Tenerani (CPO 999 856)
- Satie: Three Gymnopedies, arr guitar. Peter Fletcher, guitar (Centaur 2731)
- Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 9 in A major, Op. 47, "Kreutzer." Henryk Szeryng, Ingrid Haebler (Eloquence/Philips 289 468 152)
- Henestrosa: El libra de cifra nueva (1557): Finale. Andrew Lawrence King and The Harp Consort (Harmonia Mundi 907316)
- Schumann: Symphony No. 1, "Spring." Cleveland Orchestra, Szell (CBS 38468)
- Bach: St. Matthew Passion: Chorale "Erbarme dich," arr cello and orchestra. Yo-Yo Ma, Amsterdam Baroque Orch, Koopman
- Chicago Symphony clarinetist John Bruce Yeh performs with the Columbus State University Wind Ensemble at Columbus's RiverCenter, Tuesday evening.
- On Thursday and Saturday, violinist Midori performs John Adams' Violin Concerto with John Adams guest conducting the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
- And the Savannah Music Festival continues apace, with chamber musicians playing Beethoven and Dohnanyi in Wednesday's "Stirring Strings" program and Martin Haselbock leading a touring performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion on Thursday.