Thanks to Russell and Eric for hosting recent Midday Musics! Those playlists are here.
The buzz in today's noon hour is bees. Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" is the opening stinger for the longer "Hive" (2007), in which Evan Ziporyn sets four clarinets a-buzzing, inspired by his own experience as an amateur beekeeper. The quartet on this new recording, Clarinet Hive, includes Ziporyn himself on bass clarinet and Atlanta Symphony principal clarinetist Laura Ardan as first clarinet.
- Taneyev: Scherzo in C major. Olga Solovieva. Naxos 8.557804.
- Taneyev: Symphony No. 4 in C minor: mvts 2-4. Novosibirsk Academic Sym, Sanderling. Naxos 8.572067.
- Taneyev: Repose. Olga Solovieva. Naxos 8.557804.
- Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Haydn. Martha Argerich, Polina Leschenko. EMI 58472.
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Flight of the Bumblebee. Scottish National Orch, Jarvi. Chandos 10369(2) X.
- Ziporyn, E.: Hive (2007). Laura Ardan, Timothy Paradise, Theodore Schoen, Evan Ziporyn. Naxos 8.572264.
- Vivaldi: Bassoon Concerto in F major, RV 488. Sergio Azzolini, L'Aura Soave Cremona, Cantalupi. Naive 30496.
- Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 2 in A minor. Radio Sym Orch Frankfurt, Inbal. PentaTone 5186 157.
- Gallot et al.: Six lute pieces from 17th century France. Rolf Lislevand. Naive 8880.
- Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor. Paul Lewis, BBC Sym Orch, Belohlavek. Harmonia Mundi 902053.55.