Monday, March 26

Multiple musicians go at it at the Savannah Music Festival tonight: the Beethoven Septet is on, twice. On Thursday, Teatro Lirico d'Europa brings Bizet's Carmen to Columbus's RiverCenter. Friday the Imani Winds play in Lookout Mountain, Ga. (Covenant College); they'll perform the Concerto for Wind Quintet by Imani Winds flutist Valerie Coleman, which I'm airing in our noon hour.

Another piece I'm highlighting simply showed up on a new recording and sounded good. It's the Second Symphony, from 1939, by Dane Leif Kayser. I like this quotation from Kayser at around that time:

There are reviewers who have reproached me with the criticism that my music is based on traditions - and they are absolutely right. ... I could take my First Symphony apart phrase by phrase and say: "You have that from Bach...now it is Cesar Franck who is joining in the conversation...and here it is Carl Nielsen who has influenced you." I willingly concede my debt to all the composers who have written the music that has given my 21 years content and perspective. ... It is the love of music that has made me a composer - or at any rate an industrious music copyist. Is there really anything odd abuot the fact that I write down what the heart is full of? You could as well go out in the field and forbid a young lark to sing trills that sound like the ones the old larks have sung before.
Here now, today's playlist:

11 AM
  • Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Sonatina for recorder and guitar. Petri, Hannibal (OUR 8.226800)
  • Beethoven: Septet in E-flat, Op. 20. Nash Ensemble (ASV 4002)
12 N
  • Grieg: Slatter, Suite for Orchestra, Op. 72. Royal Scottish National Orch, Engeset (Naxos 8.557854)
  • VColeman: Concerto for Wind Quintet. Imani Winds (Koch 7599)
  • Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. Stephen Hough, Dallas Sym, Litton (Hyperion 67501/2)
  • Bizet: Carmen: Chorus and Scene "Les voici, voice le quadrille." Atlanta Sym Orch & Chorus, Shaw (Telarc 80333)
1 PM
  • Vierdanck, J.: Capriccios, Canzonas and Sonatas (1641): Nos. 25 and 19. Parnassi Musici (CPO 777 205)
  • Kayser, L.: Symphony No. 2 (1939). Aalborg Sym Orch, Coro Misto, Aeschbacher (DaCapo 8.224708)